Sunday, February 26, 2012

Yatta! - McCall's M6440 Done

If you didn’t watch the show Heroes, Yatta! Means I did it! After three years of sewing I finally made a pair of pants. With a little persuading, my “photographer” agreed to snap a few pictures for me. The photos are not wonderful (DD doesn’t really get that I’m trying to highlight the clothes LOL) but you get the idea. I am very behind, but I present to you the first item of the Basic Wardrobe SAL.

Pattern Description: From McCall’s website – MISSES' PANTS: Narrow legs, self faced contoured waistband with left side or center back invisible zipper, optional pocket in waistband with invisible zipper. A: Plain hems. B: Invisible side zipper on legs. C: Slits. D: self cuffs.
Sizing: 6-20.
Fabric Used: Black Ponte from JoAnn Fabrics








I have already mentioned this but I was not at all happy with my choice of Ponte. It was very thin and not at all like a bottom weight that I would normally wear. I do like the seam down the back leg of the pattern though. Anyone trying pants for the first time will appreciate the extra seam. I was able to get an ok fit in the back because of it. I did not make a muslin ahead of time but I did attempt to tissue fit the pattern. I’m not crazy about the fit in the front and after looking at the pictures I can see a lot of drag line that I did not see when I pin fit it. I made several changes to the pattern, which was not all necessary and no doubt added to me not being crazy about the finished pant. I added 1 inch to all pattern pieces, most of which I ended up removing. I added 2 inched to the CB tapering to nothing at the side seam and I added 1 inch in length below the knee, which were the only changes I think I'll keep for the next pair. I will make these again in a different fabric but I will not add so much to the pieces, so that I can actually get a slim leg fit next time.

I am so glad that I finally made an attempt at pants. I starting sewing in the first place to make my own jeans and it’s taken all this time to “work up the nerve” to actually just do it. One more review and more pictures tomorrow.

Until then,
Renae


3 comments:

  1. Your pants looks great, thanks for posting pictures and participating in the SAL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done, Renae! I agree with you sbout that Joann's ponte....not the best bottom-weight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great. I am yet to even attempt any form of trousers yet but will bear this pattern in mind!

    ReplyDelete