Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Simplicity 3711

OK, So this is a post of my latest project. I promise I will post pictures soon of the other things I have done, but I needed to get this one in the mail so pictures were a must. A coworker and good friend just had the cutest baby boy so I whipped up two items from Simplicity 3711 for her.  I made both view B and view F. She should receive them by Thursday, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that she likes them and it fits. I have not been around any really little ones in a long time, so it just looks SMALL to me.



Pattern Description: Simplicity 3711 Babies Separates Babies Layette...Free Online Instructions for Baby Wipes Cover

Pattern Sizing: XXS to L or 0 to 18 Months

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, it looked exactly like the pattern envelope. I made view B with the short sleeve and view F.

Were the instructions easy to follow? The instructions were simple. I do suggest that you mark all the dots, notches, etc because you really need them throughout.

Fabric Used: I used a cotton knit for the onesie and a really fluffy fleece for the blanket.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I made these as a gift for a coworker’s new baby. I made the XS (1-3 months) so I made no alterations to the onesie. I used the left over cotton knit as the binding for the blanket and embroidered they baby’s name on the hood.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, I would definitely sew this again and recommend it. It sewed up quickly and I think it makes a cute little baby shower gift.

Conclusion: The onesie is by far the best job of construction I have done. The bottom snaps were a bit of a challenge for me even using the zipper foot, it may have just been the small size of it. The set in sleeves were SUPER easy to put in and went in way better than any set in sleeves I’ve done for myself. The blanket was simple enough, although I wish I had a better selection of thread colors in my stash to use for the embroidery. The entire project can easily be completed in an afternoon.




I am working on a fitting shell right now in preparation for a much needed LBD. I have all the fitting shell pieces cut out and tonight I will sew and press all the darts. I check out sewing for real people from the library on Saturday, so hopefully the process will be painless. More tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment